Over the past few weeks, I’ve been engaging in the occasionally nerve-wracking process of building a new computer. This is the first time I’ve really done so, which would explain any mistakes in picking components. One point in my favour – it works! (for now).
I’m actually writing this from my netbook (Asus Eee PC 1015pn) right now, because only a few days after I ordered the new parts, my old desktop’s hard drive decided it had had enough. Looks like this new computer comes not a moment too soon! The reason I’m not currently using it, however, comes later in the story.
I’ll post a list of components (which I’m sure will be much more interesting than this rambling) once I get everything in order.
It all started March 19th, when I saw an SSD on sale. By this point, I had pretty much set out what I wanted in a new computer but hadn’t fully committed to making the leap into relinquishing my money. Seeing this let me finally decide.
A week or so later, I bought most of the rest – processor, power supply, case, memory, graphics card, motherboard, and a wireless card. Now I was ready to build a computer. Of course, it comes halfway through the week, making me have to work hard to focus on work. Finally, the weekend rolled around and I got to work. It went surprisingly without hitch, everything working fine out of the box. I built it outside of the case this time, just to see if it would boot. As is always the case, the weekend was not enough for my slow beginner assembly techniques, and I had to leave it for another week.
Weekend 2 started with the task of transferring all of the components to the inside of the case. Apart from some funny-seeming standoff placements, this went fine. The first annoyance came when I realised that though I thought the motherboard had an onboard USB 3.0 header, it didn’t. Oh well. Would have been nice, but I’ll live for now and get some sort of adapter later. This weekend ended with installing Windows 7 and starting to get various useful programs installed. This continued on and off over the course of the week.
Suddenly, disaster struck. I started getting errors like mad. Tried restarting, started getting claaassic blue error screens of the deadly variety. Safe mode seemed to work, but any attempts to repair from there tended to cause spontaneous restarts. Resorted to repairing trying to repair from outside the OS using the recovery partition and installation CD. Neither worked, giving inconclusive errors. Resolved to reinstall, trying a few times before realising that it was simply determined to always restart half-way through. Finally, I narrowed it down to the RAM, and sure enough, the computer worked fine with only one of sticks in. Darn faulty parts.
So that’s why I’m writing this from my netbook – gotta get that memory replaced! One of the downsides of ordering parts online appears to be this process. Doesn’t seem quite right that I should have to pay the postage to send back a broken item when it was the store (Newegg) who shipped me a useless part for my money in the first place. Doesn’t help that the suggested online-purchasable shipping is more than half the price of the item. Oh well, go figure. My tracking number just whispered into my ear that the package will arrive soon, so we’ll just have to cross our collective fingers (ouch) and hope that the replacement arrives soon.
With the old computer giving up for the time being, the netbook it is. I’ll have to add some pictures to this dull monster of a post later.